Jan 16, 2018 | Atlanta, GA
The Georgia Institute of Technology has launched an international search for the next executive vice president for Research (EVPR). A 14-member search committee composed of faculty and staff will be chaired by Provost Rafael L. Bras. Associate Provost for Operations Jennifer Herazy will serve as search director.
A direct report to President G.P. “Bud” Peterson, the EVPR is the chief research officer for the Institute. The EVPR provides central administration leadership for all research, economic development, and related support units. This includes direct oversight of Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI), the Enterprise Innovation Institute (EI2), the Interdisciplinary Research Institutes and Centers (IRIs/IRCs), the Georgia Tech Research Corporation (GTRC), and the Office of Industry Collaboration (OIC).
“The role of the executive vice president for Research has proven critical to strengthening the multidisciplinary ties between the academic and research enterprises at Georgia Tech, and for creating exciting momentum for the Institute’s growing innovation ecosystem,” said Peterson. “We envision the next EVPR as someone who will be both capable and comfortable in the dual role of enhancing Georgia Tech’s economic impact and advancing our ethic of ‘Creating the Next.’”
A campuswide town hall is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 6, at 11 a.m. in Clough Undergraduate Learning Commons, Room 152. Hosted by President Peterson and Provost Bras, the town hall will provide an opportunity for faculty, staff, and students to learn about the search and provide input on criteria for selecting the ideal candidate.
“The search for the successor to Dr. Stephen Cross is extremely important to the future of Georgia Tech. We want to hear from the Georgia Tech community and invite all interested parties to fully engage with the search process,” said Bras. “This early town hall and the on-campus finalist interviews are great opportunities to provide feedback and ensure the best candidate is chosen to join the executive leadership team.”
All inquiries, correspondence, and nominations should be directed in confidence to the attention of the search committee chair, Provost Bras, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While applications and nominations will be received until the EVPR is selected, interested parties are encouraged to submit their materials no later than March 31, 2018, for optimal consideration.
Members of the search committee and support staff are:
- Rafael L. Bras (Chair), Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Jennifer Herazy (Search Director), Associate Provost for Operations
- Karen Fite, Director, Georgia Manufacturing Extension Partnership, Enterprise Innovation Institute
- James Fortner, Associate Vice President, Financial Services
- Kaye Husbands Fealing, Chair and Professor, School of Public Policy
- Christopher Jones, Associate Vice President for Research; Love Family Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Robert Knotts, Director, Federal Relations, Office of Government and Community Relations
- Pablo Laguna, Chair and Professor, School of Physics
- Steven McLaughlin, Dean and Southern Company Dean’s Chair, College of Engineering; Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Dana Randall, Co-Executive Director, Institute for Data Engineering and Science; ADVANCE Professor of Computing, School of Computer Science
- Trudy Riley, Executive Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
- Bo Rotoloni, Deputy Director, Finance Operations and Information Systems, Georgia Tech Research Institute
- Caroline Wood, Executive Director, Corporate Relations, Office of Development
- Steven Woodard, Assistant Director, Parker H. Petit Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience
- Gregory Owen (Ex-Officio), Director, Human Resources, Enterprise Innovation Institute
- Mary Thomas (Search Support), Program Manager, Office of the Provost
The search follows the December 2017 notice that Steve Cross will step down at the end of June 2018 and return to a research faculty position at GTRI.
A full position description, search timeline, and ongoing search updates can be found at president.gatech.edu/search-executive-vice-president-research.